Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Trip to Canberra

Just back from a week in Canberra (our national capital) and did the usual touristy things and ran out of time to do lots of other touristy things (typical!).

I was really keen to get back to the Australian War Memorial - I was there 15 yrs ago and the exhibits are always expanding and improving, so it was wonderful to see what was new.  Photos inside are a bit of a no-no, so respecting this I only took a couple of shots outside.  I'm not one for taking photos anyway, so when I say a couple of shots................. I mean a couple of shots.




These few are of a wonderful statue of Simpson and his Donkey.  My darling decided he wanted to be in the shot as well - he's the one wearing the blue jacket. 

The honour rolls are of those who lost their lives and Greg's dad asked us if we could look up his great uncles who died in WW1 and WW2, which we did and were amazed by all the poppies that have been placed beside the names of loved ones lost.

Walking around the outside just amazed me on how well kept the building is - it looks new and not 60 - 70 yrs ago.  I suppose it's a reflection of the respect afforded this memorial.  I've added a link for the AWM so if you're interested have a look - it certainly is worth it.  http://www.awm.gov.au/

Elegance in exile: portrait drawings from colonial Australia
We also visited the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery - which had an exhibition called Elegance in Exile (http://www.portrait.gov.au/site/exhibition_subsite_eleganceinexile.php). It was a display of portrait drawings done by convicts transported to penal colonies in Sydney and Tasmania - this was definitely the highlight of the trip for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment